Depression Treated with Acupuncture in Red Bank, NJ
Variations in mood are a normal, everyday part of life. Feelings of sadness or despair are typically temporary and should last no longer than a few days. Depression, on the other hand, is a serious mental illness that is diagnosed when this negative state of mind continues for two weeks or longer.
Symptoms of depression may include the following:
• Persistant feelings of sadness, anxiety, irritibility, or helplessness;
• Loss of interest in enjoyable activities;
• Changes in appetite, including both overeating and undereating;
• Insomnia or excessive sleeping;
• Lack of energy;
• Difficulty concentrating or making decisions;
• Suicidal thoughts or attempts; and/or
• Physical aches and pains.
There are several types of depression recognized by the medical community. Major depressive disorder is a disabling form of the illness and hinders the patient from normal functioning. Dysthymic disorder is a long term, low grade depression while psychotic depression is accompanied by psychosis. Other types of depression are postpartum depression, which affects new mothers, and seasonal affective disorder.*